Sunday 7 August 2016

Getting Closer in CaK - 6th August

animation

Saturday offered the first day with proper clear blue skies as a transient ridge of high pressure toppled over the British Isles.  I eagerly set up the 8" Airylab HaT however the seeing conditions were some of the worst i've seen in some considerable time.  I knew the only way I was going to salvage anything from the day would be to drop the aperture to slide under the seeing radar.  Opting for the 40mm scope at 400mm focal length with the PGR Chameleon 3 camera I set about recording a time lapse animation, with 1 frame every 30 seconds.  I was hoping for a bit of something to happen on out star, but the Sun was sleeping on saturday afternoon, and nothing of note happened typically.  Never the less I got a good record of the supergranulation that is visible in CaK wavelengths.  Lasting over 2 hours and comprising of over 300 frames this took some computing power and time, and as I eluded to in a previous post this is currently the next hurdle to improving solar images.